When you are designing a logo for your online business, blog, or website, then you want it to look professional, appealing, and unique. To achieve that feat, understanding the right process is a must. However, you needn’t fret, for you have come to the right place!
To create a top-notch logo that’s one of a kind and attractive from all angles, just follow these steps:
1. Choose Colors that Reflect Your Brand Personality
When it comes to colors, you may have your personal favorites. However, for effective branding, you must set your preferences aside and pick the colors that set the right tone for your brand. Believe it or not, logo colors tell a lot about a company and as many as 93% of the people look at visual appearance when buying. So, the question is, how do you pick the right colors?
If you already know what your brand’s personality is like, then picking the apt colors won’t be difficult. To take an example, if you want to symbolize love, passion, or excitement, then the color RED would be an ideal choice for the logo. Similarly, if you want to create a brand that’s all about royalty, exclusivity, or mystery, then you can’t go wrong with PURPLE.
Each color is associated with certain types of emotions, and so, if you have a clear idea of the feelings you want to evoke in your customers, you can pick the appropriate colors easily.
2. Choose Fonts that Reflect Your Brand Personality
Just like you must pick the right colors for your logo, you must pick the right typeface to go along with them as well. The following are some of the things you want to keep in mind when choosing the fonts:
- Steer clear from the ordinary fonts that are used commonly in newspapers, magazines, and even the majority of websites. Instead, look for fonts that are unique and bold.
- Make sure that the fonts are timeless. It’s really important that the fonts are relevant and interesting not just today but in the future as well.
- There should be appropriate spacing between the characters.
You may also want to do some research on the various kinds of typefaces that are available in the market and find out the fonts which your favorite logos use.
3. Pick a Logo-Type
All types of logos can be divided into the following main categories:
- Lettermark: Lettermark logos use the initials of the brand which is why they are best for long names. Some of the popular lettermark logos include HP, CNN, IBM, and ESPN.
- WordMark: Wordmark logos are font-based logos that highly the brand name itself. They work well if the company has a distinct name such as Coca-Cola, Google, Samsung, etc.
- Mascot: As you would expect, these types of logos use characters i.e. mascots to represent the brand. Some good examples of these logos include Pillsbury, Wendy’s, Hostgator, etc.
- Icon-based: Some of the best logos that exist today are icon-based logos. These logos use creative icons to represent a business rather than the name of the business itself. Examples include Nike, Shell, Apple, etc.
- Abstract: Abstract logos are based on abstract designs and patterns rather than easily-recognizable icons like Jaguar and Apple. A good example of an abstract logo is Pepsi which uses a divided circle. Another good example is Mitsubishi which uses three diamonds aligned in a triangle.
4. Pick a Style
Even if you have decided the right logo font and colors already, there a lot of flexibility you have on the style itself. For instance, you can go for a minimalistic look use a unique font that alone can form most of the logo, or you can create a modern logo by using new trends like cropping the letters out, using geometries and shapes in a creative manner, etc. That said, whatever you do, make sure that the logo meets the branding goals and sends the message across in an effortless manner.
5. Create Different Versions of Your Logo
If you want to create the perfect logo for your brand, then you shouldn’t focus on creating just one. Instead, try to experiment with different ideas and designs using the base style, fonts, and colors.
It’s most likely that your first few designs will not be so appealing or up to the mark. However, with each revision, you will notice an improvement. By refining the design a number of times until you are 100% satisfied, you can achieve the perfection you deserve.
It’s a lot easier to try out different design elements including fonts, icons, etc. if you are using a logo design software. This is because you can actually see the changes right in front of you in real time. Since a lot of advanced logo makers are actually quite cheap, it’s highly recommended that you try one unless you have a strong reason not to.
6. Get Feedback, Refine, and Publish
Once your final design is ready, you may want to get feedback from a few people and make changes to the logo if required. After this, you can download the final design and start using it at all the relevant places including your website, business cards, social media pages, etc.
Logo designing is an art. However, you don’t necessarily have to be a talented artist to create a good design. With the right tools and the basic knowledge, you can easily create a premium-quality logo yourself. Good luck!